Lastoadri's Reviews > The Solitude of Prime Numbers

The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, in-my-library
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 03, 2012

I bought this book by pure chance, basically because I loved the title and the cover.. and now after I finished reading it I can say, I am so happy this book stumbled my way! Its sad, but beautiful..

Actually I think Giordano will be something big in the future. I felt more or less I am reading another Milan Kundera's books, but quite faster in pace..

The one thing I didn't like is the translation. It is terrible. I am sure the original Italian version is much smoother and more musical.. but this one, was so turning me off at some pages..

I recommend this book to all my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Solitude of Prime Numbers.

Quotes Lastoadri Liked

Paolo Giordano
“You'll get used to it. In the end you won't even notice it anymore," he said.

"How is that possible? It will always be there, right before my eyes."

"Exactly," said Mattia. "Which is precisely why you won't see it anymore.”

Paolo Giordano
“Twin primes: pairs of prime numbers that are close to each other, almost neighbors, but between them there is always an even number that prevents them from truly touching. If you have the patience to go on counting, you discover that these pairs gradually become rarer. You encounter increasingly isolated primes, lost in that silent, measured space made only of ciphers, and you develop a distressing presentiment that the pairs encountered up until that point were accidental, that solitude is the true destiny. Then, just when you’re about to surrender, when you no longer have the desire to go on counting, you come across another pair of twins, clutching each other tightly.”

Paolo Giordano
“Even though he was afraid to admit it, when he was with her it seemed it was worth doing all those normal things that normal people do.”

Paolo Giordano
“Prime numbers are divisible only by 1 and by themselves. They hold their place in the infinite series of natural numbers, squashed, like all numbers, between two others, but one step further than the rest. They are suspicious, solitary numbers, which is why Mattia thought they were wonderful. Sometimes he thought that they had ended up in that sequence by mistake, that they'd been trapped, like pearls strung on a necklace. Other times he suspected that they too would have preferred to be like all others, just ordinary numbers, but for some reason they couldn't do it. This second thought struck him mostly at night, in the chaotic interweaving of images that comes before sleep, when the mind is too weak to tell itself lies.”

12/31/2011 page 90
01/02/2012 page 255
66.0% "Really enjoying it.." 2 comments
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ayman  Agour nice review Eman :), i I have just finished reading it.

Lastoadri And what do you think?

Ayman  Agour Sadness for the end of Matya and Alise solitude, happiness for reading this humane feelings, and i predicts Giordano will be one of the most famous writers soon.