Patrick's Reviews > Bunnicula

Bunnicula by James Howe

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: junior-fiction-elementary-age
Read from December 28, 2011 to January 04, 2012

We gave this to Adam for Christmas because I loved it as a kid and we already have #2 lying around. I am reading this out loud to the kids.

It's fun, but definitely dated. I remember a lot of the 80's junior fiction books I read had this professorial 3rd person tone. In this book, it's the dog writing the story in a professorial 1st person tone. So you get phrases and sentences like "...the family with whom I reside." Also sharing our home is a cat named Chester, whom I am pleased to call my friend." "I hope you will find this tale of sufficient interest to yourself and your readers to warrant its publication."

There are some funny moments to an adult reader because of the dog sounding like an editor from 1900 commenting on the propriety of the family's behavior, but I think most of this goes over the target audience's head. I know some of the language goes over my kids' heads.

But my kids are enjoying the story anyway. It's a clever central idea.

Finished. The kids loved the story, especially when I added "realistic" cat, dog, and bunny noises to the little action there is.

The ending was a little anti-climactic to me and featured more archaic language from the erudite dog who uses the word "whom" and speaks obscure Carpathian dialects, but doesn't know the meaning of the word "sibling." This was concluded with the hilarious Chester-in-therapy comments that will not be comprehensible to young readers. So fun, weird, dated story. We'll be picking up the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunnicula.