Wendy F's Reviews > Ready Player One

4019599
Jun 29, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, futuristic-sci-fi
Read from June 25 to 29, 2012

What a friggin thrill ride!!!!!!!!!!

That book was sweet! I want to rush out and brush up on all the old 80's trivia, AND I want to become a top notch gamer, especially if that's the future of gaming! I'd love to live in the OASIS. (I don't think this was the point of the book, but crap that world was friggin sweet!) On top of all that excitement you had a group of people who developed into true friends.

I'm wracking my brain trying to put why I loved this book into more thoughts other than a million exclamation points, arguments for why everyone should pick this up and give it a read. But honestly, all I can do right now is grin.

It's one of those older YA books, those types that they're creating a new genre for; the 17-25 year old age bracket. If you like YA, you'll enjoy it. Guess what, if you like Adult, you'll also like it. It's just a good book.

There was one part in the middle when (view spoiler). I was pretty pissed and disappointed in him. Sure he was supposed to be a bit of a geek in the real world, but that was just ridiculous. I think I enjoyed the sections of the story that took place in the OASIS over the parts that took place in reality. You really really felt the difference, but then I think you were supposed to.

Final thoughts: Kick ass beginning, emotional highs and lows, and a kick ass ending.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Ernest Cline
“People who live in glass houses should shut the fuck up.”

Ernest Cline
Continue your quest by taking the test

Yes, but what test? What test was I supposed to take? The Kobayashi Maru? The Pepsi Challenge? Could the clue have been any more vague?”

Ernest Cline
“You'd be amazed how much research you can get done when you have no life whatsoever.”

Ernest Cline
“Going outside is highly overrated.”

Ernest Cline
“It's chick flick disguised as a sword-and-sorcery picture. The only genre film with less balls is probably... freakin' Legend. Anyone who actually enjoys Ladyhawke is a bona fide USDA-choice pussy!”

06/28/2012
48.0% "Um... Wade is pissing me off. FOCUS, BOY!"
show 1 hidden update…

Stacia (the 2010 club) Can't wait to see your thoughts on this one.

Wendy F I'm pretty excited!

Dawnie The reality parts were a bit much for me too. I know it's shallow, but I wanted him to want to be presentable or possibly even attractive. Although he did sort of overcome that a bit near the end.

I felt blissfully happy after reading this book. Kind of in a happy daze as opposed to being brutally sucked into a book and longing to remain there after it ended. That's rare for a book you know? Usually it's either too weak to truly pull you in or too fierce to let you go. This one was perfect.

Wendy F I was okay with him just being an average joe. It was just the gross patheticness of the bald recluse that ruined it, lol. How could you be so awesome in the Oasis and such a schmuck in real life, haha.

I agree, it was perfect. (Though I love books that keep it's grip on me.)

Caron It's an easy, plot-driven read. I agree with you--the cultural references compelled me to start re-watching John Hughes films again.