M.G. Bianco's Reviews > The Forgotten Heavens: Six Essays on Cosmology

The Forgotten Heavens by Douglas Wilson

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: theology
Read in December, 2011

Have you ever seen a movie after which you walked away thinking how great a movie it could have been based on what story the director was trying to tell, but knowing the movie wasn't that great because he didn't succeed in telling it well?

That is how I feel about this book.

Forgotten Heavens is a book that could've been great. The questions that the essay authors are raising are great questions. After reading the book, however, I felt like too much was left unanswered. They told me that things like satyrs exist(ed), but then didn't tell me what that means, what I'm supposed to do with this new knowledge. If it doesn't impact my worldview (which I'm sure it should), then why should I care if they exist(ed)?

Wilson's article, the first in the book, is probably the best of them. He does a better job of making sense out of his suggestions, but the rest left me hanging. I want more. If the essays are enough to drive me to find the more on my own, then they succeeded, but I'm not sure they are.

On a side note, the editing in the book could use some work as well. Additionally, I'm not convinced that the sons of God in Genesis 6 are celestial beings, either, but that is neither here nor there at this point.

Ultimately, I think this book should be read, but it will probably create more questions than answers. If that was the authors' intent, then they succeeded, but if it was, they didn't do a good job of making that clear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Heavens.