L.E. Fitzpatrick's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Jan 14, 12

Read from December 28, 2011 to January 01, 2012

This is a mammoth book, which I read over the Christmas Holidays. From what I can remember - tree went up, I began reading, when I had finished Christmas was over and nobody was speaking to me. This book consumed me for an entire month and even now, it's left me with a desperate excitement for the next installment.

Nothing about the story should work, to start the book is split in two. The first half is set in the present day, where an army/government facility is developing a new biological weapon - a vampire virus. The vampires are static, hanging in pitch black rooms, eating rabbits and hiding their potential, while the rest of the facility begin to succumb to nightmares and sickness.

This first half of the story bubbles away like a volcano. I knew from friends what was about to happen, but the tension in the story made me turn page after page, long into the night to reach the chapter where the vampires are freed.

It is so difficult to write tense, exciting action, especially with vampires but Cronin is a master and I found myself totally engrossed (to the point of nightmares)

After the outbreak the story skips a 100 years into the future. At first it's heart breaking to leave the old characters behind but Cronin delivers a stronger and even more imaginative second half, which will appeal to any fans of apocalyptic fiction.

The world is almost entirely overrun by vampires and the small human colonies that are left are facing certain death when their power eventually runs out.

Once again this story comes into its own with chapter after chapter of tension, excitement and an array of compelling, human characters in a very well realised end of the world.

There is still a huge amount of the story let unfinished and I can't wait for the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.