Philip's Reviews > Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: children, eleanor-review
Read in December, 2011

I have always loved this book. I just read it to my daughters this morning. El is sitting here with me while I'm typing this, she's playing with a stack of CDs and asking me to sing "Away in the Manger" fast.

Let me ask her what she thought of the book.

Me: "El, what'd you think about the book "Oh the Places You'll Go" that I read this morning? Did you like it?

El: "I did. I liked the way you read it."

Me: "What do you mean?"

El: "The Ellie and Gwennie way."

... Ok, I just got it. When I read it and described the pictures, I told them it was about 2 girls (Ellie and Gwennie) rather than a boy.

I just asked Ellie if there was anything else I should say.

El: "You should say you read the princess book too."

Ok... In case you don't know, goodreads has this competition - or whatever where I'm supposed to read 86 books this year. Well, my wife views my lackluster ending of reading a dozen kids books as cheating, but she says it's good for the kids. It is good for the kids.

I do love this book.

My favorite parts are the two sections that read:

"Except when you don't.
Because sometimes you won't

I love it. So realistic, yet optimistic.

Ellie really wants me to write about the princess book now, so we're going to go do that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh, The Places You'll Go!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Sorensen I hardily vouch for your goal, that children's books count as real books, even more so one could argue. Look at all the interaction that comes from it! Congrats if you made it and yeah, this is a marvelous book.