Micah's Reviews > Knightley Academy

Knightley Academy by Violet Haberdasher

Dec 31, 11

Read from December 28 to 31, 2011

This is a hard one to review because so many of the reviews are very eager to do all the Harry Potter comparisons (not without good reason), but that doesn't entirely do the book justice. So I guess I'll get the Harry Potter stuff out of the way first and quickly. This book totally has a Draco Malfroy as well as a Snape. It also has a trio of friends that go on their adventures.
Okay, so what this book really is is an interesting alternate history story where all of Britain is at peace with itself. This was accomplished through a treaty that insisted that all nations cease training their citizens in combat. Since there was no longer any needs for Knights they took on different roles, those of police/detectives and so on. There is no magic here. It's all "real world" skills that our main character is learning. He's learning how to heal wounds, history, languages, diplomacy and all of that.
The major plot of the story revolves around the fact that he is one of three students who come from outside of the aristocracy. This is the first time any commoners were allowed to go to Knightley Academy. There is a lot about class warfare in this book and the way societies deal with socioeconomic stuff.
The biggest problem I have with this book is the comparison it draws to the evil society that has abolished class system. The book seems to be saying that if you don't have a class system then you'll have some bizarre anarchy that keeps classes done in a different way. For a brief moment I thought it was going to go more into the fallacy of both of these systems and ways of thinking, but it kind of just brushes past it. This book would've benefited greatly from a third style of government.
Overall I think it's still a very enjoyable young adult book that would benefit greatly if people would review it as it was instead of comparing it so heavily to Harry Potter.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knightley Academy.

12/28/2011 page 286