Tam's Reviews > Christmas Homecoming

2620907
Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: m-m, christmas-story
Read in December, 2011

This review can be found in Brief Encounters Reviews.

I went searching to see if Grady and Joey were featured in another Hammer story, but I couldn’t find it, unless they are in an anthology somewhere. I felt I was missing how they got together and the parameters of their D/s relationship. However, the story starts at Thanksgiving when Grady is at Oliver and Jack’s for dinner. Joey is in Afghanistan and hopes to be home for Valentine’s Day, but you never know with military service.

Christmas arrives and Grady is not feeling the mood. He’s been unable to connect with Joey in Afghanistan, and now Oliver is pressing him to help out at the Christmas auction at the Hammer Club. The last thing he wants to see is all the Doms and their subs being all cute and romantic, however he agrees. As the auction winds down, one last sub is up for bids, Grady is stunned to see that it’s Joey. It seems Oliver helped get Joey home without telling Grady, and now he’s out of the military and a civilian. They quickly head home to reconnect.

The next part of the story deals with Joey’s readjustment to civilian life and that of someone’s sub. This portion of the story takes place over about 18 hours, as Joey pushes Grady, doing things he knows will get him punished, in order to feel that his life is back the way it should be. It deals slightly with the reactions of a veteran who has been living on high alert, and just the change from being the man in charge in a war-zone, to being completely not in charge in his personal relationship.

The story is fine, the BDSM is quite light and consists of some spanking and light bondage, but I never really connected to them as a couple because I didn’t know anything about them. Joey noted being in the service for eight years, but how did they meet, and how did he become a sub? As I said, perhaps I missed their original story in the mix but it doesn’t mention that it’s a continuation of a story. Joey is definitely not the flighty fluttery sub of some Hammer stories. He’s a soldier, he’s big, he’s strong and while definitely submissive, not type you usually see in these stories so that was a nice switch. Fans of the Hammer series will enjoy it, but it didn’t catch my attention as some stories have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Homecoming.