Anne's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Dec 28, 2011

bookshelves: ladies-book-club, top-picks-2012
Read from December 28, 2011 to January 22, 2012

Erik Larson-author of #1 bestseller IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS-intertwines the true tale of the 1893 World's Fair and the cunning serial killer who used the fair to lure his victims to their death. Combining meticulous research with nail-biting storytelling, Erik Larson has crafted a narrative with all the wonder of newly discovered history and the thrills of the best fiction.

I had a hard time getting started--non-fiction is intimidating to me. And even after I started, I wanted to take it in relatively small segments so that I could focus and retain as much as possible, which I suppose is why I tend not to read much non-fiction. But this book is truly a masterpiece. I was so impressed by Larson's overt enthusiasm and passion for his subject, the depth of research, and the intricate story-telling. It's the kind of book that brings history to life and makes it relevant, even when a subject like the World's Fair wouldn't seem that fascinating at the outset. Larson is a wonderful writer and historian and there are many, many images from this book that will stay with me. I can't wait to read In the Garden of Beasts and look forward to whatever he does in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.