Melissa's Reviews > Manic: A Memoir

Manic by Terri Cheney

Dec 28, 11

Read in December, 2011

I'm not manic, nor have I ever been manic. But I could relate to a lot of what was in the book because she talks about the depression side of manic depression a great deal, and I have experience with that. We both have people in our lives who tell us that our medications (mood stabilizers, antidepressants, etc.) are addictive (they are not) and we should stop taking all that stuff and just pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. We both know how impossible that is. Adn I am frankly amazed that none of her suicide attempts worked, considering how she described them.

It's interesting for me to see into the manic side without having to experience how out of control one must be during a manic phase. I'm a spectator here.

It's tough to review this book without being too spoilery - and you wouldn't necessarily think you can be spoilery about an autobiography, but I'm trying to avoid it anyway. I don't want to ruin any of the really interesting or shocking stories in here for you. But they're very compelling to read, and her story is riveting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manic.