Alexa's Reviews > World After

World After by Susan Ee

Dec 25, 13

bookshelves: own, young-adult, 2013-reads, favorites
Read from November 22 to 24, 2013

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Ah! It felt so good to be back in this world! But I have to admit I was nervous before I started reading World After. It's been over a year since I read the first book Angelfall, and I wondered whether or not this sequel would be able to live up to the badass awesomeness of it's predecessor. As soon as I got a couple of chapters into the story, though, I knew that the wait was completely worth it.

In World After, like in the first novel, Penryn's main goal was finding and saving her littler sister Paige. Before you say 'Again?,' just know that you shouldn't worry at all about the events in this book being a repeat of Angelfall. This time around Paige leaves willingly, and Penryn only has Raffe's sword by her side. Her mother and a character named Clara, who appeared in the first book, are also there with her in the beginning. And before you ask 'But what about Raffe?!,' don't worry. He's in the story as well, and I will definitely get to him in a bit.

Penryn was as focused and resilient as she was in Angelfall. I had no idea what kind of horrors she would face this time around, but I knew if anyone could pull through it would be her. I liked that she didn't feel like a hero. She was just as scared as everyone else and only did what she could with what she had. Something that broke my heart, though, was how she treated Paige. After everything Penryn went through in Angelfall, I thought things would be good between them. However, that wasn't the case at all. Nearly all the humans they encountered were terrified of Paige and treated her like she was a monster. While Penryn was never cruel to Paige, she couldn't bring herself to touch or comfort her sister because deep down even she was afraid and didn't know what to do with this new version of her sister. It was really sad, and I kept hoping that Penryn would overcome her fears for Paige's sake.

Then there's Raffe. I loved Raffe in the previous novel and couldn't wait to see him again. If you're hoping he'll show up right away, you will probably be disappointed. But I'm glad his absence proves that Penryn can carry this story on her own. Now, that doesn't mean Raffe wasn't around. In fact, his presence was felt throughout the novel. And when he does show up in person...it was a breathless moment for Penryn. And I was on the edge of my seat, grinning like an idiot. He's still the same sarcastic angel, yet there's a vulnerability to him when it comes to Penryn. It was sweet.

Penryn and Raffe's relationship continued where it left off in Angelfall, and while I can't say how things progressed with them, I can say that it was clear how deep and strong their connection was. I liked the fact that Penryn reminded us that she was like any other seventeen-year-old girl who craves love and romance. It's really no surprise that what they share is complicated. How can anything develop between an angel and a human when it's forbidden, especially in a world where surviving comes first? That's a question I hope will be answered before the end of the series because their relationship is one of my absolute favorite things in the books.

World After was an amazing and satisfying sequel to Angelfall. The writing and the story flowed perfectly, and it had non-stop horror and intense action from the very beginning. I cannot wait to see where Penryn's story goes next and how things will be resolved. Although I wish the third book was already out, I know I'll eagerly wait for its release no matter how long it takes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World After.

11/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/23/2013 page 52
16.0% "I'm sad she can't even touch her sister. Poor little girl. :'("
11/23/2013 page 166
52.0% "Ok, her mom is just awesome. Lol"
11/23/2013 page 194
61.0% "But the sword... D:"
11/24/2013 page 276
87.0% "Penryn & Raffe <3"
11/24/2013 marked as: read