Harry's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

M_50x66
Jan 22, 12

Read from December 28, 2011 to January 07, 2012

This is my first Stephen King book. He loves telling stories and knows how to do it really well. I was compelled to the end, but also felt a little icky along the way.

I kept thinking about Charles Dickens while reading this. Like Charles Dickens, dude loves to spin a yarn and come up with fantastic details. Both Dickens and King use recognizable character types that are engaging and relatable. Also like Dickens, he lets his imagination take him into some weird places. But unlike Dickens, he won't let the tangents become strange strands of experience; everything winds up getting tied back in and becoming a kind of symmetry to the larger story. It makes for an urgent, compelling read.

I waited to write this review for a few weeks because I wanted to see if the book lingered with me at all. There's so much talk about how this book explores big issues of mortality, time, love, etc. I'm here to report I haven't thought about this book since I finished it. I look forward to the movie version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.