Lecea's Reviews > Rock and a Hard Place

Rock and a Hard Place by Angie Stanton

Jan 07, 12

Read on January 07, 2012 — I own a copy

Ever since her mother and sister died in a car accident, Libby has been miserable. Her father, burdened with depression, leaves Libby with her cruel drug-dealer aunt with little money. One day, Libby meets Peter Jamieson, the lead member of a famous band of which she had never heard (she has no radio and television). Peter wishes for some sanity and normalcy in his busy rockstar life, while Libby wishes to see something other than pity for her. Their friendship easily becomes love, as each becomes what the other is missing.

Most of the book is told in third-person from Libby’s perspective, but other times it switches to Peter and then to some of the minor characters, such as Libby’s supportive counselor, Miss Orman, and Peter’s mother. The dialogue is simple but fresh, and the inner thoughts of each character are realistic. The descriptions of Parfrey’s Glen, the nature preserve Libby lives near, are vivid – I could see it as an ideal secret place. Also, initially I thought that Peter and Libby’s sudden interest for each other was unrealistic and too convenient, but this was before I read Peter’s point of view.

I did not expect much from this book. The premise sounds clichéd: two people fall in love, even though they have glaringly obvious differences. To my surprise, I think I enjoyed reading this, partly because of the fact that the plot is not that simple and because the events that lead to the happy ending are wonderfully told. Most of the characters turn out to be very likable, too. Libby is understanding when she thinks Peter is leaving her (view spoiler), and she realizes that she needs to take charge of her own life in order to see a better future for herself. In other words, at the beginning, she never defends herself (especially when wanting freedom from her aunt) and is submissive, but major changes happen to make her stronger in mind. Likewise, Peter is a great character with immense determination to make the relationship work, even when Libby and he are separated. It is also sweet that Peter uses the song he wrote for Libby to find her.

More than anything, this is a novel about finding reasons to hope. After all, Peter and Libby (and, later, those close to them) make every effort to find each other even when it seems impossible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock and a Hard Place.