♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > North of Need

Jun 15, 12

Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Read-along with Bethany, Laura, Brandie and Sara
Read from June 13 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

3.5 Stars

"I know what this sounds like, Megan, but I was sent here. For you." He released a deep breath. "A Christmas gift, of sorts."

This is exactly what Megan Snow needs after grieving the death of her husband, for the last two years (heck I wouldn't mind this kind of gift either!). Megan is keeping up tradition by spending Christmas in a cabin out in the snowy woods, just like she always did with her late husband. Megan can't stop thinking on what she may never feel again: true love and companionship. To get her mind off her grief she tries to busy herself by making a snowman. This turns into making a snowman, snow-woman, and snow-child. When Megan realizes she's made a family, she breaks down into tears, thinking of all she lost, and may never experience. However, little does she know that her tears and silent pleas do not go unnoticed. Someone has heard, and plans to bring Megan happiness and peace. One hunky Owen Winters coming up! Owen show up a Megan's door at night, passed out with no boots or coat, in the middle of a snow storm. Megan can't leave this man outside to the elements and drags him into her cabin. She quickly notices that he is gorgeous. He looks like a god (hee hee) in the flesh. Little does she know!! Can Megan unlock her heart and accept that she can fall for someone again without getting hurt, again? Can Owen convince her in time to love him before time runs out on his human existence?

This was a very sweet story with a fairy-tale quality to it. To enjoy this tale, you must suspend some of your belief in reality and just go with it. This takes place over the span of four days, a week maybe, so immediate attraction must take place for this story to work. I was fine with this because it fit the story. Plus, haven't you ever been immediately, powerfully and intensely attracted to someone? I have. Not sure that I could fall in love so soon, but definitely in lust! Let me tell you, there is definitely time for lust in this story! Laura Kaye is a master at writing nice and steamy scenes! I'll never think of peach ice cream or snow cones in the same way again! Here's a little teaser for you:

He stifled a groan when she licked her lips and he added another attribute to his newfound favorite dessert: dangerous. Because it made him want to throw his peach ice cream away in favor of tasting it from her tongue. He looked down into his bowl and decided to save the peach for last. So he could savor the same flavor coating the inside of her mouth…….The thought that this was what she tasted like, right now….He had to shift in his seat.

*Fans self*!!

So, anyhow…. I had fun reading this with my favorite ladies: Laura, Bethany, Sara, and Brandie. Thanks for the laughs and gossip!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North of Need.

06/13/2012
29.0% ""So, good with languages, shovels, and igloos. Anything else?" The smug look he tossed at her was so wicked it shivered right down her spine." 27 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Oh you're reading this too? Are you liking it? I was doing a read along with Cyndi and Jo Jo..but the book was too slow for them. So I'm left reading it. lol

message 2: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Jun 13, 2012 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♥Rachel♥ Oh so funny, Jenn! Yep, I'm reading this. Bethany wanted to read another Laura Kaye and I was up for it. Loved Hearts in Darkness. Read it with us!!

Where are you in the story? I can never trust your status on your profile because you have so many books listed as currently reading, my ADD friend! Lol!! ;)

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn LOL!!!!! I'm in chapter 3 of The What If Guy. And I just started reading Slow Summer Kisses. You ladies are probably pretty far in to your read??

♥Rachel♥ I just hit 32% & I'm about to go to bed. So not too far.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Hmm that gives me a whole night to catch up. lol
I just put up my review on here and on amazon for The Vincent Brothers. :o)

Brandie I was thinking about starting this one next. Are you liking it, Rachel?

♥Rachel♥ Yes I am. It took a bit to really capture my interest, though. So if you start it give it til 10-20% before you give up. Bethany, Laura, Jenn and I are reading it. Hope you come on board. :)

Bethany Rachel, how far into this are you? I'm at 44% and that was HOT!!!

Laura Damn, woman! Haha….You flew through this one! Did you have fun? No matter how much I want to read on Thursday nights, it never works out. Haha…I pass out.

Bethany Sweet, you’re done! I should be done sometime today, as long as work doesn’t get in the way.

♥Rachel♥ I know, Laura, I did fly through this one. I read a bunch in the bath last night and before I knew it, I was done. Thursdays are your late night, right? You work til like 10pm? You take the train, right? Do they have ones that run that late?

Bethany, find that bathroom!! Lol!! ;)

message 12: by Laura (last edited Jun 15, 2012 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Unfortunately I live and die by the train schedule! Haha…I feel like I am always running for one. The last train out of the city for me is 10:30. On Thursdays, I actually work just until 7:30, but then have to wait for a train. I don’t get home until 10. Which I know isn’t late, but something about Thursdays—the whole week just catches up with me. Ya know? A bath & a book sound heavenly!

Any plans this weekend, Ladies? :)

message 13: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Jun 15, 2012 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♥Rachel♥ 10 is late to get home, Laura, especially when you've worked the whole week already. That's a long day! Hopefully you have your pepper spray and a book for the late rides home. (view spoiler)

Laura Jeez! Sorry, Rachel—I just saw this comment. (view spoiler) And believe me—I am armed! :D
Wonderful and fun review as always, Rachel! You pull the best quotes! :)
Thanks for the gossip! You guys made me giggle alot with this one! I needed the smiles! :) btw…I can’t find peach ice cream. :( Will continue hunting though!

♥Rachel♥ Well at least that's not too far. It's nice (view spoiler) I'm glad you're armed! (view spoiler)

I fun with you guys too! Off to find some peach ice cream! ;)

Bethany So I just finished North of Need. I liked it, but (view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Bethany, it wasn't just you. To be honest (view spoiler) I liked Hearts in Darkness better than this. I think I'm going to like Her Forbidden Hero better too.

But this was a quick fun and spicy read. :)

Bethany I’m glad it wasn’t just me. (view spoiler) Hearts in Darkness and Her Forbidden Hero, I liked a lot more then this. I think you will enjoy HFH. My mom just finished Hearts in Darkness and loved it. I don’t know how anyone couldn’t, that book was really good!

♥Rachel♥ I know! I loved Hearts in Darkness! So glad your mom did too, Lol! I want to squeeze in HFH. It's not very long but I probably won't get to it until next weekend.

message 20: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Valentine "He looks like a god (hee hee) in the flesh. Little does she know!!" Haha, you're SO CUTE, Rachel! x) I think that if I say a hunky guy on my doorstep, passed out with no boots or coat in the middle of a snow storm, I'd probably let him in too. Because I'm more of a romantic than a logical he-might-be-a-serial-killer girl :') Love your review, Rachel! <3

Bethany I need a book recommendation. I have a ton of books I showed read, but don’t feel like it. Any ideas?

Laura Hehe…We are so bad! Ereaders full of fun and we want more! :D I just bought (what? I needed to stop the withdrawal shakes) haha…---What A Boy Wants
It was just 99 cents, but the reviews are all over the place. But for a buck. :)
Have you ever read Linda Kage, Bethany? I really liked The Stillburrow Crush
Let me know what you pick up though! I need more fun reads too. ;)

♥Rachel♥ @ Mimi-It's funny you say that, Mimi, it did go through the main character's mind. Of course that was quickly forgotten. I'm right there with you, if he looked like a god, I'd probably let him in too! :)

@Bethany-I don't think you read So Over You (yes, I just stalked you bookshelf! lol!). I really liked it and it's not very long. Bonus: (view spoiler) ;)

♥Rachel♥ Laura, I bought What A Boy Wants too! It looks a little on the younger YA side but it still sounds funny and good. I love this idea!

Laura I know right! I couldn’t pass it up! Hehe….It sounded cute and I really like the male POV every so often. Especially with a “romancey” type of book. Is that a word? :D
Hey—what are you reading now, Rachel? Off to check…
p.s.(view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ p.s. back(view spoiler)

And yes, I couldn't pass it up. I LOVE male POVs. "Romancey" sounds like a word to me. I'll add it to my dictionary, lol! :D

Bethany Thanks, girls! These books sound like just what I need right now. I got What a Boy Wants and The Stillburrow Crush. Just what I need more books, but I love it! Now I just have to pick which one I'm going to read first. Thanks again. You two are the best!

message 28: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Beth- read What a Boy Wants. I'm dying to know more about that one. I'm reading Wishing for Some Day Soon..

Bethany Thats the one I picked, Jenn!

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

♥Rachel♥ I'm interested to see what you think too, Bethany. :)