Jen's Reviews > Spook Country

Spook Country by William Gibson

Jul 25, 2008

it was ok
Read in July, 2008

Although this was generally an interesting read, for me it had some fundamental problems. 1) For the first 50 pages I found myself daydreaming and constantly having to reread bits 2) The contemporary technology in this book is going to soon date itself. I don't know if Gibson considers this scifi, but the issues at hand (and the technology) already feel a little dated. Though as a result, I suppose it may appeal to a wider audience than other scifi or technical mysteries. 3) It was truly anticlimactic for me. A lot is revealed at the very end about the intent of the anti-heroes in this novel, but I didn't much care by that point and in the end, really not much happened with it all.

On a more positive note, the writing was engaging enough to keep me going after the first 50 pages, the characters were compelling, and his story was well suited for the braided novel technique he employed.

However, the book should have been more robust, allowing for more attachment to the characters and a more intriguing and eventful climax.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spook Country.

04/15 marked as: read