Amy's Reviews > The Prophet of Yonwood

The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau

Dec 19, 08

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in December, 2008

The third book in the Ember series takes place before the world as we know it is destroyed, and before the City of Ember is completed. We follow the story of Nickie, a young girl who visits the city of Yonwood when her great Grandfather dies. She is accompanied by her aunt, Crystal. It is their job to fix and sell his house. While Nickie is in Yonwood, she has three goals that she would like to complete by summer's end. 1-Keep Greenhaven (the name of the house). 2-Fall in Love. 3-Help the World.
During her stay, Nickie starts to hear about some pretty strange things. First is the mysterious Prophet, Althea Tower, who one day saw a vision of the world destroyed. Second is Hoyt McCoy, and the strange things going on inside his house. Third is Brenda Beeson, the eradicator of all evil doers in Yonwood.
This isn't my favorite book in the series, and some may find that they can skip it without missing out on anything through the rest of the series. Still, I thought it was o.k, and I rather liked Nickie, even though some of her actions were a little misguided. Oh, and if you're wondering if Nickie accomplished her goals, I'll tell you that she did, but not in the way expected. You'll see when you read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet of Yonwood.