Jan's Reviews > Freedom's Landing

Dec 28, 11

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, speculative, z-2011
Read in December, 2011

I bumped into this by accident in the library, and since McCaffrey died I’d been meaning to read something by her, and the blurb looked to be promising SF with a dash of romance I decided to take the entire series with me on Christmas break. I’m so glad I did, because I really liked this first book.
It dives right in when Kris an escaped human slave on a strange planet, encounters Zainal, a Catteni (the aliens who invaded Earth and took a bunch of humans off-planet as slaves), who is on the run himself. Figuring that a common enemy makes them some sort of allies, she saves his hide, which gets her captured again and dropped on Botany, a planet version of penitary colony. Thus commences a tale of settling a new planet, organizing the humans and various kinds of other aliens, and figuring out who the original owners of the planet were.
I like planet settling stories, and I’m definitely planning on reading more. There’s something about surviving under harsh circumstances that’s really interesting and intriguing. I really liked that we got to see the settling and organizing through the eyes of Kris, who isn’t a leader. She’s very capable and definitely an important member of the original droppers, but she doesn’t have a position of power.
I liked how very unbigoted Kris was, and how ready to defend Zainal and the other non-humans. I loved that she kept chastising herself for her horniness. I liked the pace of the romance as well , and found it very fitting that it didn’t take the forefront for a long time.
There were a lot of touches that seemed very realistic to me, like the dietary problems of the Deski’s, the few untasteful troublemakers, the threat of abuse towards women when there were only few of them. I did think that the settling seemed to go almost too easy, and that the few troubles they had didn’t seem all that unsettling. But then the fact that they are dropped with materials is part of the Catteni plot, and the fact that they aren’t the first settlers is part of the Botany plot, so at least the easiness of it all is explained.
All in all I was pleasantly surprised, and definitely want to read the second installment right away. There’s about a million ways this can go, and currently all of them seem interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom's Landing.