Any Length's Reviews > Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average

Why We Make Mistakes by Joseph T. Hallinan

F_50x66
Jun 27, 12

Read from April 22 to June 16, 2012

A good book that helps us learn from our "misplaced overconfidence" and it's sometimes detrimental results. I am partly in agreement that we ought not be too overconfident as we create pitfalls for ourselves. This shows itself in the 90% of new businesses that never make it past the 2 year mark. Why? Because people are overconfident that they can pull that kind of business off and become blind to the fact that the business idea was doomed from the start.
I do however think that thinking positive has a place in our lives and needs to be coupled with a realistic point of view. As Joseph Hallinan says, get your kids to proofread your stuff, not someone in the same business as they won't pick up the obvious mistake either. SO thinkinging positive yet getting someone from outside to really check out a new project or business plan will do a lot of good.
There are some interesting facts about why we make mistakes and how we trick ourselves into believing that we have made an informed decision, when we really made up our minds 2 seconds into looking at a photo just by intuition. I think we can all work on getting a better blanace between intuition and straight thinking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Make Mistakes.

06/09/2012 page 145