T.L. Bodine's Reviews > Zombie Tag

Zombie Tag by Hannah Moskowitz

Jun 23, 12

Read in December, 2011

I was fortunate enough to have a quiet day at work today, which is good as I was hesitant to put the book down. I have a special fondness for MG books, and this one definitely lived up to my expectations.

I've never read any Hannah Moskowitz before, but I'd been curious about her writing for a long time. Her themes, and especially her tone, seemed reminiscent to me of my favorite authors from the 80s: Robert Cormier and Richard Peck.

I wasn't that far off. ZOMBIE TAG wasn't as heart-wrenchingly disturbing as a Cormier Novel (but then, what is?), but it was sweet, tender, and funny, which are all things I love in my fiction.

The "funny" is the best part about this book. Since I was reading on my Kindle, I got to highlight some really excellent passages that witty, charming, funny and poignant. Note the plural. This is a tight book and every line is packed with quality prose. There is zero fat to trim in the story and the relatively large cast all come alive (see what I did there?) on the page.

It gets a 4-star rather than 5 because it was predictable. Maybe that's me not playing fair, being naturally older, wiser, and more cynical about books than the story's target audience. (view spoiler)

Overall, though, the book was superb. I will be looking for more Moskowitz titles in the future, as this definitely lived up to my expectations.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Tag.