Jillian's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

F 50x66
Dec 28, 2011

Read in January, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Jillian Liked

John Green
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”

John Green
“For a moment, she was quiet. Then she grabbed my hand, whispered, “Run run run run run,” and took off, pulling me behind her.”

John Green
“Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war”

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

John Green
“What the hell is that?" I laughed.
"It's my fox hat."
"Your fox hat?"
"Yeah, Pudge. My fox hat."
"Why are you wearing your fox hat?" I asked.
"Because no one can catch the motherfucking fox.”

John Green
“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”

John Green
“They love their hair because they're not smart enough to love something more interesting.”

John Green
“When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books.”

John Green
“I may die young, but at least I'll die smart.”

John Green
“Thomas Edison's last words were "It's very beautiful over there". I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.”

John Green
“You're awfully philosophical for a girl that just got busted.”

John Green
“I wanted to be one of those people who have streaks to maintain, who scorch the ground with their intensity. But for now, at least I knew such people, and they needed me, just like comets need tails.”

John Green
“That didn’t happen, of course. Things never happened the way I imagined them.”

John Green
“It always shocked me when I realized that I wasn’t the only person in the world who thought and felt such strange and awful things.”

John Green
“And then something invisible snapped insider her, and that which had come together commenced to fall apart.”

John Green
“It's not life or death, the labyrinth. Suffering. Doing wrong and having wrong things happen to you. That's the problem. Bolivar was talking about the pain, not about the living or dying. How do you get out of the labyrinth of suffering?”

John Green
“For she had embodied the Great Perhaps--she had proved to me that it was worth it to leave behind my minor life for grander maybes, and now she was gone and with her my faith in perhaps.”

John Green
“Sometimes I don't get you,' I said.
She didn't even glance at me. She just smiled toward the television and said, 'You never get me. That's the whole point.”

John Green
“What you must understand about me is that I’m a deeply unhappy person.”

John Green
“I felt the unfairness of it, the inarguable injustice of loving someone who might have loved you back but can't due to deadness.”

John Green
“If people were like rain, I was like drizzle and she was a hurricane.”