Book Twirps's Reviews > The Girl in the Park

The Girl in the Park by Mariah Fredericks

Mar 30, 12

Read from March 26 to 27, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. After reading the synopsis, I thought I was going to read a predictable mystery, but that’s not what I got at all.
The story is much deeper than I expected, and isn’t just about the disappearance/murder of a spoiled rich girl. In fact, Wendy wasn’t wealthy at all. While almost every kid at this posh school has a prominent, wealthy parent or two, Wendy comes to the school a total outsider being the daughter of a pool cleaner, her education paid for by her grandparents. She tries desperately to fit in and befriend the popular kids to no avail.

Quiet and shy Rain narrates the story. She knows all too well what it is like to be the outsider. She was born with a cleft pallet and has struggled with a speech impediment most of her life. She befriends Wendy and they remain close for a while until Wendy takes it upon herself to get back at the spoiled rich bitches who shun her by sleeping with their boyfriends.

Rain and Wendy eventually grow apart when Wendy’s antics begin to weigh on Rain, but when Wendy is found dead in Central Park after a party, the media portrays her as a slutty party girl that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It’s then that Rain takes it upon herself to set the record straight and find out what really happened to Wendy.

While the mystery surrounding Wendy’s murder is interesting, I was more interested in the character study. Ms. Fredericks really gets to the heart of her characters, and develops them into more than just mere caricatures of your standard high school cliques.

Ms. Fredericks writing style is great and she unravels the mystery at a perfect pace. Rain is a strong, reliable narrator and I really liked her. The mystery is a good one and I didn’t guess the true murderer as early as I usually do in this type of book, which made it even more appealing to me. This one is definitely recommended to anyone looking for a good mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Park.