Peter Heinrich's Reviews > Bering Sea Blues: A Crabber's Tale of Fear in the Icy North

Bering Sea Blues by Joe Upton

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, biography, history
Read from December 27 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy

Interesting memoir of crabbing in Alaska's Bering Sea (and points south), supplemented with stories of others lucky and not-so-lucky. Upton describes his experiences clearly and simply, weaving a narrative around the monotony and routine, magnificent natural surroundings, colorful companions, and occasional danger.

Here's the back-story you never hear on Deadliest Catch, and I found the history fascinating: the birth of the King Crab fishery, its peak 130 million pound harvest in 1980, and its crash down to 30 million, then 3.5 million pounds two years later; the transition from a derby to quota system; and the introduction of the 200-mile exclusion zone. Day-to-day crab fishing is also explained in more depth, but the television show has done a remarkable job of communicating the details.

I appreciated Upton's journalistic, no-nonsense delivery, and couldn't help comparing him to Ernest K. Gann, one of my favorite authors. But where Gann's Fate is the Hunter is a riveting account of his personal dance with death, Upton mostly recounts danger through cautionary anecdotes passed from fisherman to fisherman.

I don't mean to fault Upton for cheating death less dramatically or less often; I enjoyed both books, neither of which was overly sensational. Somehow, though, Gann's was also thrilling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bering Sea Blues.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank curious what you think of this one when you're done Peter.

Peter Heinrich Will do!

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne I found Fate Is The Hunter from this review - thanks !

Peter Heinrich Fantastic! Hope you like it.