Kevin's Reviews > A Spell for Chameleon

Jun 23, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, ya-fiction
Recommended for: nobody.
Read in June, 2008

I wish I could give this book a higher review. The storytelling is tight, the magic is interesting, and it can be occasionally funny. But the characters are mostly two-dimensional, with maybe an extra half dimension added to The Evil Magician Trent and to Chameleon of the book's title. And oh my god is this thing sexist. Chameleon herself could be a truly great character if Anthony had much interest in watch she thinks of her condition, of how her thinking changes as she changes, or in any other aspect of her as a person. But no, she's just Teh Hottie reward for our annoying hero, Bink, who as a stand-in for the author (and why not presume as much) is a whining douchebag. He's supposed to be 25 years old? Really? I've met 12 year old boys with more maturity.
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spell for Chameleon.

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. Sheehan "Bink, who is a stand-in for the author... is a whining douchebag." Harsh, but true. I feel generous with three stars.

Christine All of what you say is true. But this book is still a guilty pleasure for me. I enjoyed it as a kid, and am having fun reading it again as an adult.

Lindsey Guy For the most part I just enjoyed the book for what it was, a fun light read. But I have to disagree with you about Chameleon. I think her character was a jab at how society thinks of women as a whole. Also keep in mind this was written in the late 70s. Even to this day, society attaches the stereotype that if a woman is beautiful she is also vain and, maybe not so much dumb but less intelligent, much less how women were thought of 30 years ago. I think the book points out the ridiculousness of this concept, which I appreciate.

Laura G. Chandler Yeah, society had different views when this was written. The sexism still annoys me, but I enjoy the book for its story and writing.

Margaret Moller I agree with your description of Bink. He was so immature, so obsessed with Chameleon's appearance, and when he finally told her that he could never tire of her because she could be many different girls, I nearly flung the book across the room.