Rowena's Reviews > Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

Gifted Hands by Ben Carson

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: afrocentric, non-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone who wants to be inspired
Read from March 08 to 12, 2012

This was a beautiful and inspirational book! Not only did a poor black man living in the ghetto of Detroit get an amazing education, he also became one of the most famous neurosurgeons in America.

What impressed me so much was his mother's determination; she was only 13 years old when she got married and, to make things worse, she became a single parent when her husband left her.Despite all this,she knew how important education and faith would be for her sons; she encouraged them to read books and pray. Amazing how a lady who only had 3rd Grade education managed to raise two great scientists!

I enjoyed reading about the medical cases that he worked on that made him so well-known. Despite all his achievements, Dr Carson seems to be a very humble man and credits God for getting him where he is today. Also, in spite of all the racism he encountered, he made it clear that he wants to heal people of all races and all the adversity he faced on account of his race just made him grow stronger, and work harder.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gifted Hands.

Quotes Rowena Liked

Ben Carson
“Success is determined not by whether or not you face obstacles, but by your reaction to them. And if you look at these obstacles as a containing fence, they become your excuse for failure. If you look at them as a hurdle, each one strengthens you for the next.”

Ben Carson
“To THINK BIG and to use our talents doesn't mean we won't have difficulties along the way. We will--we all do. If we choose to see the obstacles in our path as barriers, we stop trying. "We can't win," we moan. "They won't let us win.”

Ben Carson
“...I became acutely aware of an unusual ability--a divine gift, I believe--of extraordinary eye and hand coordination. It’s my belief that God gives us all gifts, special abilities that we have the privilege of developing to help us serve Him and humanity. And the gift of eye and hand coordination has been an invaluable asset in surgery. This gift goes beyond eye-hand coordination, encompassing the ability to understand physical relationships, to think in three dimensions. Good surgeons must understand the consequences of each action, for they’re often not able to see what’s happening to see on the other side of the area in which the area they’re actually working.”

03/08/2012 page 23
03/10/2012 page 53
24.0% "This is proving to be a quick and easy read. Very inspirational thus far."
03/11/2012 page 180
80.0% "Wow! What a story!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mafoya (new)

Mafoya Dossoumon I read this book a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. His story is very inspirational.

Rowena So far it's been great! It's proof that even if you start off with little, you can get ahead in life:)