Michelle's Reviews > Happy Accidents

F 50x66
Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read
Read from January 17 to 26, 2012

While not a “bad” book by any means, I have to admit I was slightly disappointed by Jane Lynch’s Happy Accidents. She is such a great woman and a fantastic role model, and I’ve loved learning about how she made it to where she has, but I felt that she toned down her emotional aspect more than was necessary for the writing. Some of the depth that rivets a reader to a book seemed to be missing here.

Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had listened to the audio version, but reading the dry book copy didn’t leave me with the same sense of attachment and understanding as Bossypants, Tiny Fey’s recent memoir, did. Lynch presented herself honestly and with no holds barred, putting into detail everything from her struggle with alcoholism to her coming out to her problems with attachment. Many of her struggles were deeply emotional issues, and though she presented them as life-altering and it was easy to tell how they affected her path in life, most were told in a cut and dry manner. More than that, however, her stories were all of the “happy ending” sort. It’s great to hear about someone who has overcome every issue ever presented, but it’s unrealistic and I’m sure there are more shadows lurking that we haven’t seen. I believe there is a certain self-censorship in place, which kept her from revealing any negative relationships or issues that had not been resolved.

I did really love some parts of the book though. Her story about her prospective AA mentor and her “babies” was a great mix of funny and almost too real, and the bit about meeting her wife was touching, you could almost feel how in love she still is with her family. The entire beginning of the book talking about her parents and growing up was a delight.

Among the “not-so-hot” bits I would include the cliché-ridden ending and a good part of the name-dropping center which moved just too quickly between people and projects to get any sense of what really happened.

I would definitely read another of Lynch’s books, should she choose to author any future projects, but that is more out of love and respect for the person than the style of writing, which could use a bit more work.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Accidents.