Amanda's Reviews > American Pharaoh: Mayor Richard J. Daley - His Battle for Chicago and the Nation

American Pharaoh by Adam Cohen

F_50x66
Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: biography-memoir, history
Read from December 27, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Daley was a fascinating, bigoted, devoted, charismatic, powerful, awful man - much of that in equal parts. He had a hold on Chicago that was unparalleled and knew how to both cater to constituents and get things done in the machine of his owm creation. While his acfions were abhorrent and somewhat tough to swallow, the story itself is a page turner. It makes me wonder how we ever got through 1968 and how defeating it musg have been to be on the Republican side of the street for much of Daley's mayoral reign. As much as i hated his actions, he was still a man of contradictions - a devoted fmit man who saw nothing wrong with protecting his people to the detriment of everyone else, wanted to build the greatest city in the world as long as housing and education remained segregated and business communities remained middle class, wealthy and white. I'm sure machine politics are not completely gone in a place like Chicago but I sure hope there's more room for interpretation now than there was then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Pharaoh.