Jason's Reviews > War and Peace

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Mar 07, 13

bookshelves: to-read, reshelved
Recommended to Jason by: It's a supposed great classic
Recommended for: Unfair for me to do this as I've not finished it
I own a copy, read count: .09

3-7-13:

I admit defeat. I made it 118 pages, and that was several months ago. It's time to face the fact that I'm not going to read this right now. I may try it again one day, but it was just too thick for me. He introduced 876 characters in the first 20 pages. They all had names consisting of a minimum of 20 letters, and half of those letters were y's, k's, z's, j's, and other black-sheep members of the alphabet family. Also, these letters tend to fraternize with several other consonants that don't belong next to each other. The result is that I have great difficulty keeping the characters straight.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Tolstoy also uses nicknames for some of the characters, and some characters even have the same name as others. I spent quite a bit of time wondering why Anna was doing such-and-such at this point in time when just a few minutes prior she had been doing so-and-so in a completely different city, and what she was doing now seemed counterproductive to what she was doing earlier. Then I realized it wasn't Anna number one, but Anna number two.

It was then that I realized that Tolstoy was out to get me, and decided I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. Well, I didn't decide that right then and there; I plugged away for several more pages, and ended up at some troop inspection when I finally picked up another book. I lied to myself saying "I'll keep up with War and Peace. I'm not giving up." But, alas, I've given up... for now. I know not what the distant future holds, but the immediate future looks to be devoid of War and Peace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War and Peace.

09/22/2012 page 121
10.0% "I don't know if I'm going to make it through this one. 8 million characters in various settings, all introduced in the first 20 pages, they have the same names, then some use 2 or 3 different nicknames, and I can't keep anything straight. Other books beckon, but I'm going to give this one my best shot."