Scribs's Reviews > Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

F 50x66
Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012-favs, questionable-content, unique-and-different

Unique is the first word that comes to mind with this series and Taylor's writing. And in the world we live in today, with so much information available, so much media, so many books, etc. I find it increasingly difficult to find something truly different in literature. Taylor's two worlds are vivid and dark, and I like them.

This book has been anticipated by many, winning acclaim from the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly and it's broad fan base. It deserves praise.

What I enjoyed the most: The recurring theme of the difference the few can make. There are several touching flashbacks were Karou and her angel boyfriend talk about rising up and uniting both peoples--the seraphim and the chimera. This is what drives her--Karou--to not only defend her people, but to create a world where both can live in peace. What can I say? I found myself touched as I read this theme.

What I did not enjoy: There was an attempted rape, quite suggestive and nasty and horrifying. Yes, we know this character is a villain, sheesh, why on earth did we have to throw that in there? It was oh so brutal and bloody. Also, there is so much suggestive language throughout this book, I have a hard time picturing teens reading this. Finally, the leaders of the seraphim forcing young women to do their sexual bidding and impregnating them? Yikes.

What I enjoyed: The beautiful language. To contrast such writing with the brutal setting made it very picturesque.

My conclusion: I would not recommend this book to teens (especially young girls! way too sexual)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood & Starlight.