Rebecca N. McKinnon's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Jan 25, 12

Read from December 27, 2011 to January 24, 2012

I watched the TV show first (which is what inspired me to delve into this genre in the first place), and maybe I would've rated this higher if the book alone had introduced me to the characters and plot. Instead, it felt like I was reading a screenplay of the TV series. I'm one of those rare people who wants a screenwriter to bring his own magic to a story rather than copy+paste all of its text and scenes. But, "Game of Thrones" is my first epic fantasy. I was determined to finish it. And, at over 700 pages, that was a challenge. Let me clarify. It's not challenging because of a complex writing style or difficult vocabulary. It's challenging because the writing is just so...plain. Sure, there are a few enjoyable sentence variations but an equal number of cliches also exist that spoil the reading experience for the rest and best of the bunch. I only found about five of the small chapters worth it out of the entire 700 pages, which was (obviously) disappointing. I enjoyed learning a bit more about quiet Dany's and shifting Sansa's thoughts, but that's the only positive point I can make about this read. The plot is riveting, engaging, and shocking...but I got that much from the TV show.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

12/27/2011 page 180
26.0% "Difficult to keep track of all of the characters, even though I already watched the entire TV series. Not sure epic fantasy's for me, but I'm determined to finish it."