Ross Hamilton's Reviews > The Fallen Blade

The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood

Dec 27, 11

One of the things I particularly liked about The Fallen Blade was the novel's historical voice. Now I am hardly an expert on fifteenth century Venice but the novel presents at least an appearance of strong historical authenticity, suggesting a lot of work on the part of the author to get it right which adds to the overall feel.

Strictly speaking, this is a vampire novel of sorts, yet Grimwood manages to avoid using the 'V' word. Yet it is not the usual vampire we have become used to seeing or reading about.

"Tycho's body hummed with power, his hearing was so sharp he surprised a hunting tom before the cat was aware of him. Time stretched and became malleable. Eventually moving so slowly he owned the spaces between seconds as well as the seconds themselves. He knew the stars for tiny suns lighting a night sky to the brightness of day. Except this sky was red.

As was the rest of his world."

It is equally a political thriller with people behind the throne being the real movers and shakers, attempting to manipulate events to suit their own dark purposes.

I quite enjoyed the novel. There are significant questions yet to be answered and the scene is nicely set for the next installment in the series which I look forward to reading. A vampire thriller in a strong and believable setting is probably the best way I can think of describing it.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fallen Blade.