April's Reviews > The Keepers

The Keepers by Monique O'Connor James

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: nook-lendable
Read from December 27 to 28, 2011

Jess moved to New Orleans to heal after the death of her mother. While coping with her grief, she befriends Vi, Justin, and Rory. Justin, an angel on earth, despises humans. However, he finds Jess intriguing and begins a romantic relationship with her. The Demon, Dawson, attempts to destroy Jess. However, Justin is determined to guard and protect her.

At first, I felt no emotional connection to the characters. Their friendships and Jess/Justin's romantic relationship happened to fast for me. I needed more dialogue between the characters in the beginning of the book to really feel their character and watch their relationships grow. It just seemed unrealistic that she met Vi at a bar one night and the next day they were best friends.

By the midpoint, I finally felt some emotion as the author began to share information about Justin's past. But I still struggled with the romantic relationship between them. They both claimed to love each other but why did they love each other...wish there had been more build up to their love.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to others. I loved the theme of grief and losing your faith in God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Keepers.

12/27/2011