logankstewart's Reviews > B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs

B.P.R.D., Vol. 3 by Mike Mignola

Dec 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-read, graphic-comics, horror, own
Read from January 24 to 30, 2012

When I first read Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, I knew I'd read something special. Mike Mignola was telling a lofty story, something grandiose and magnificent. Part of the reason I liked Seed of Destruction so much was Hellboy, yes, but also his friends in the BPRD. In particular, and I think I'm not alone here, Abe Sapien.

With BPRD: Plague of Frogs, we finally see the full scale arc Mignola has been envisioning. Seed of Destruction and Plague of Frogs are inter-connected and work well with one another. Whereas Hellboy makes no appearance in this third volume of the BPRD run, Readers do get to see more of Abe, Liz, Roger, and the rest.

Plague of Frogs sets an apocalyptic tone, as most Mignola things tend to do, and it works well, especially with events from Hellboy in mind. The BPRD is sent to a science lab where something disastrous happened, something related to Rasputin and Nazis and Old Gods. Plus, Mignola is the chief writer with this run.

What follows is a fast-paced run involving cults and frogs, simply put, but definitely much deeper than that. We get to see some of Abe's origin, which was incredibly entertaining and leaving this Reader with thoughts aplenty on the implications of it.

BPRD really hits its stride with this book, establishing an arc that will span several comics to bring to a fitting conclusion. I'm not sure what the future holds for the Bureau, but I'm definitely going to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read B.P.R.D., Vol. 3.