Patrick's Reviews > Just My Type: A Book About Fonts

Just My Type by Simon Garfield

Jan 05, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from December 27 to 30, 2011

Just My Type opens with a chapter on that most hated of Microsoft Fonts, Comic Sans. It closes with a short rumination on Microsoft's new ubiquitous champion, Calibri. In between are chapters that take us through the development of fonts and typefaces from Gutenberg to Helvetica and beyond. Chapters are full of history and trivia, and cover technological innovations like Monotype, Linotype, and Letraset. Interspersed are short chapters highlighting an individual font and describing some of its history. The book is liberally set with photos and examples of the fonts discussed, and whenever a new font is mentioned, it is used to print its own name.

Overall, this was an easy read and as a nerd, I'm interested in the subject matter. There wasn't much of an overall point or message, but it did give an appreciation for how deep a discipline font and type design is, and what a rich past it has had. If you liked the movie Helvetica, this book will be right up your alley.

All of that said, I probably now know enough about fonts to hold me for the next 2-3 years.

Oh yeah... the book was set in Sabon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just My Type.