Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines)'s Reviews > The Janus Affair

The Janus Affair by Pip Ballantine

May 22, 12

bookshelves: highly-recommend
Read from May 03 to 06, 2012

"We are partners. While life in the Archives moves at a more pedestrian pace than her previous exploits, it is that other life I have caught glimpses of in our brief time together that has made me feel..." And his voice trailed off again.

"Alive, Mr. Books?"

He nodded appreciatively. "Well put, Alice."

Ballantine & Morris' sequel is as clever and well-crafted as its predecessor, with an abundance of witty, playful banter, an intriguing mystery, and a satisfying ending.

Once again, Archivist and Jr. Archivist, Books and Braun, neglect their duties in the Archives to investigate a mystery without the Ministry's approval.

The task of persuading Books to aid Eliza and place his career in jeopardy is much easier for her this time around. Their relationship seems to have strengthened during their last exploits and they've developed a stronger, more trusting partnership.

Members from the suffrage movement, a cause dedicated to the progression of women's rights, are disappearing in a burst of light accompanied by a blast of heat that burns the skin of anyone within a certain radius.

It's a very disturbing and highly confusing case with few leads and no identifiable patterns. But with their determination, Wellington Books' brilliant mind, and Eliza Braun's expertise in the field, they are the best team in the Ministry to find the mysterious device responsible and the criminal who controls it.

One of the women Eliza is most invested in keeping safe is Kate Sheppard, leader of the suffrage movement and an important part of Eliza's New Zealand past. She's brought with her Douglas Sheppard, her son and Eliza's first love.

Although their past is complicated, it's obvious that they still have lingering feelings for each other. This doesn't sit well with Wellington and we witness an angrier, surprisingly jealous side of our usually reserved Archivist.

While the first half of the story seems to focus on building the mystery, gathering details, and introducing us to new characters, the remaining half is more emotional and action-packed. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I can't imagine any fans of Phoenix Rising being disappointed in this sequel. I'm looking forward to more explosions, more secrets revealed, and more beatings delivered by Wellington's walking stick in Books and Braun's next adventure.

"Finally, she walked up to him and gave him a hard shove, sending him backwards into the plush couch. He now looked up at her; and with her hands on her hips, lips pursed, and eyebrow crooked as she considered him, she was quite the vision. As he was sitting down, he couldn't tell if his knees were weak but he somehow knew they would be. At that moment he saw exactly why men all over the world couldn't resist the compulsion to grant her with whatever she wanted."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janus Affair.

05/04/2012
05/04/2012
36.0% "Just noticed, have you?" "Well, usually I was distracted by something, mainly assuring that my wallet did not take flight while in their company." "Fiddlesticks, Welly, I told you that your person was completely safe around the Ministry Seven." "All eight of them?" - *snort* I always love their banter."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne omg you have this already!? Oh so jealous of you Cat. I loved the first book so much and can't wait to read this one.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I have a digital ARC but I can't wait to get a physical copy because I adore that cover ;)

Eliza and Wellington seem to be more comfortable with each other now. I hope they get a little bit of romance going on before this is over.