Shannon's Reviews > Among Others

Among Others by Jo Walton

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: youngadult, supernatural
Read in December, 2011

Among Others is a library book that ended up here per my husband's request. I was between books and chose this one from the available stack. Told in diary form, Among Others is the story of 15 year-old Morwenna - Mor or Mori, for short. Mori's an avid Science Fiction reader, attends a boarding school and has just recently gone to live with her father after an accident involving her mother (who is a witch) and her twin sister (who is dead).

While the diary format made the book a fairly quick read, it lacked a depth I wanted. Mor tells us that her mother is evil and wants to rule the world, but she never really shows us very much of her. In fact, all of the talk of magic felt a bit on the surface for me. It never quite amounted to much - even when there were a few plot points where I thought it might take off.

So instead of enjoying this book for its incorporation of magic into real-life, I found myself most enjoying it as a coming of age tale. Mor grew up in Wales, but now attends a posh English boarding school. Naturally, she feels left out. It was interesting to see where she found her place (in a book club of other sci-fi fans) and how she interacted with new friends.

If you're looking for a compilation of all of the science fiction books you should read, you might be interested in Among Others for its value as a reading list. Otherwise, there are far more intriguing books that await you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among Others.