Alli's Reviews > Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler

Dec 27, 2011

liked it
Read from December 27 to 30, 2011

It's hard for me to say how I felt about this book. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It was sad. I felt sad reading it which strangely is the part I liked about it. But I also expected throughout the entire book that something good would happen that would heal this family of the wounds an abusive mother and abandoning father inflict on their small children. I kept looking for the one member that would get it all together and find that space in life where they were or can be happy. Their mother knew hers had long gone, but she did have hers. The kids, they never knew how to find that, all of them so lost, so unable to love or be loved.

I was surprised when it ended. Thought I had turned too many pages of my Kindle by accident. It didn't make sense in my mind that there could be no real resolution, that it was just what it was and no more, that is was probably most close to reality and not some movie scene where they makeup and live happily ever after. That disappointed me since I tend to look for the happy ending, but I also loved that there was none too. It made sense, really.

So if you like a raw sort of story that doesn't follow the typical plot where they all makeup and kiss at the end, you may really love this book. The writing grabbed me and kept me guessing when the change of heart would come and from whom. Its a different sort of book. I am glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.

Gina This is an excellent review of the book and described how I felt as well.