Daenel's Reviews > The Darkest Child

The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips

Dec 27, 2011

Read from February 01 to 19, 2012

This book is quite possibly one of the most disturbing books I've read. And that's why I gave it 4 stars. Any book that grab and twist my emotions is a winner. I wanted to stop reading it ~ the abuse scenes were cringe worthy. Not just the physical aspects, but the mental aspects... a part of me just kept asking myself if there are really kids who are living under these conditions and I know there are which made this story all the more compelling.

Tangy and her siblings are sympathetically written. They have hopes and dreams, the need to be loved... All of this despite everything that their mother did to them. I like that the end of the book was open ended, instead of wrapped in a neat little package. Phillips debut novel is definitely an emotional journey not for the faint of heart.

I would recommend this novel for book discussion groups because of the varied topics: race relations, child abuse, color issues within the black community, poverty and education. Just be prepared to put the book down and walk away for a few minutes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Child.

02/06/2012 page 43
03/31/2016 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I have had the book for over a year and I have not gotten back to it for the very reason you state. Hopefully I will finish it soon.

Daenel Cynthia wrote: "I have had the book for over a year and I have not gotten back to it for the very reason you state. Hopefully I will finish it soon."

This was definitely one of the more difficult books that I've read in a long while. The abuse suffered by the children was just too much. But with that being said, I do think it would make a great book for book discussion groups.

Lisa Gremore I spread it out three days but I did not just read it I let it absorb, it is now part of me.

Daenel Lisa, this was a difficult read. I had so many feelings of anger.