Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Dovekeepers

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

May 19, 12

bookshelves: genocide, judaism, middle-east, historical-fiction
Read from May 03 to 19, 2012

I picked this book up based on the recommendation by Penelope and the subject matter - I've had a hard time retaining the detailed history/culture of Judaism, but I try so I have some understanding of my step-daughter's culture/religion. I'm always intrigued with strong women characters, and this novel did not disappoint.

Things that I loved:
- The history was part of the story, but it was background to the story of the characters.
- Each of the characters was fatally flawed, yet they all were willing to risk breaking the "laws" of their culture to protect their families. That definitely resonated with me. They also broke laws based on love/passion, and felt shame/guilt/ostracism because of it, and I can relate to that as well.
- The story arc was written in a way where I anticipated the final section, and it did not disappoint.

Things I didn't love:
- It was a bit slow moving initially
- There were occasionally poetic lines and redundancy with those lines that took away from the story a bit

Overall, if you are interested in history, culture, strong women, or epics, I think you would enjoy this novel!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dovekeepers.