jo mo's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

3.75/5

likeable female protagonist on a quest to save her sister. loved the parts about the family. as an individual pal (you know, drinking beer on the porch with), i'd have liked him, but as a serious love interest, he was .. bleh so far.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes jo Liked

Susan Ee
“Angels are violent creatures.”
“So I noticed. I used to think they were all sweet and kind.”
“Why would you think that? Even in your Bible, we’re harbingers of doom, willing and able to destroy entire cities. Just because we sometimes warned one or two of you beforehand doesn’t make us altruistic.”
Susan Ee, Angelfall

12/28/2011 "I turn around, looking for my mother. It’s not that I don’t care about her. It’s just that our relationship is more complicated than the usual daughter-mother relationships. The rosy love I’m supposed to feel for her is slashed with black and splattered with various shades of gray."
12/28/2011 "“Try doing that again, and I’ll snap you in half before you know it.” “Big words from a guy who’s trussed up like a turkey. What are you going to do, wobble over here like an upside-down turtle to snap me in half?”" 2 comments
12/28/2011 "“Rah-fie,” I repeat slowly. “I like the sound of that.” His eyes soften as though he smiles even though his expression doesn’t change from his stony look. For some reason, it makes my face heat up. I clear my throat to break the tension. “Raffe sounds like Raw Feet. Coincidence?” That gets a smile out of him."
12/28/2011 "“You have got to be kidding me.” “I never kid about my warrior demigod status.” “Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. “You are nothing but a bird with an attitude."
12/28/2011 "My fight at the moment is struggling to get stains out of sheets that are taller and wider than me by yards. Nothing takes the romance and grandeur out of life than scrubbing stains out of sheets."
12/28/2011 "Whatever Raffe doesn’t know about humans, women’s clothing isn’t one of them. I shoot him a piercing look, wondering where he learned his expertise on the topic. He returns my glance with a cool look of his own, telling me nothing."
12/28/2011 "Raffe has no qualms about stripping in front of strangers. He pulls off his t-shirt and slides out of his cargo pants to button on a white dress shirt and black dress slacks. More than anything, it’s the feeling of being watched myself that keeps me from blatantly watching him. I have no brothers, and I’ve never seen a guy strip before. It’s only natural to have the impulse to watch, isn’t it?"
12/28/2011 "“So…explain to me again why you’re hiding instead of just walking through the gate with me?” “Angels don’t walk through the checkpoint. They fly directly to the aerie.” “Can’t you just tell them you’re injured?” “You’re like a little girl demanding answers to questions during a covert operation. Why is the sky blue, daddy? Can I ask that man with the machine gun where the bathroom is?" 4 comments
12/28/2011 "Their presence and attitude remind me of Raffe. He would fit in. It’s easy to visualize him sitting in the booth with that group, drinking and laughing with the gang. Well, the laughing part takes a little imagination, but I’m sure he’s capable of it."

message 1: by jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

jo mo “Penryn? Who are you talking to?”

“Just my own personal demon, Mom. Don’t worry. He’s just a little weakling.”

“Oh.” She sounds calm suddenly, as if that explained everything. “Okay. Don’t underestimate them. And don’t make them promises you can’t keep.” I can tell by her fading voice as she says this that she’s reassured and walking away.

The baffled look the angel shoots at the door makes me chuckle. He glances my way, giving me a you’re-weirder-than-your-mom look.

message 2: by jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

jo mo For a moment, all is silent as they look on my dark silhouette. I hope to all that’s holy and unholy that I look like an Angel of Death. If it was well lit, they would see a skinny teenage girl trying to hold oversized wings behind her back. But it’s dark, and they are hopefully seeing the one thing that makes their blood run cold.

“What have we here?” I ask in what I hope is a tone of deadly amusement. “Michael, Gabriel, come see this,” I call out behind me as though there are more of us. Michael and Gabriel are the only two angel names I can think of. “The monkeys seem to think they can attack one of our own now.”

The men freeze. Everyone stares at me.