Melissa's Reviews > Touch of Power

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Aug 21, 2012

Recommended to Melissa by: Mitch
Read in August, 2012

This book got me hooked from the first page and there was never a dull moment. Snyder created such a fascinating world with her magical writing style. The author does an awesome job in involving the reader in everything that happens. She doesn't overwhelm with info, but bit by bit the puzzle pieces fall into place.

I'm not really good with spoilers so just to be sure
**SPOILER ALERT**

Avry is by far the most kickass female MC I read about. It is not that she's a lethal fighter or anything like that, but for me she is kickass because of who she is. In a world where she has to run and hide for years from executioners of healers like her, she doesn't loose her courage and strength. And what made me immediately like her was the fact that although she's like a prey on the run, she still believes in human kind and saves a baby, and with that risking her own life. I can't put it differently than: the girl has balls! Another thing I really appreciated about Avry was the fact that she decides for herself who she will heal. She doesn't want to heal prince Ryne just because others think he's worth saving. She demands arguments to decide about this herself. And in the end, when she makes up her mind, it feels right.

When Avry gets involved with a group of rogues, she slowly starts to trust again and she even starts to care about them. It was interesting to see the change in her and to watch her opening up again, making friends. Also her relationship with Kerrick developed in a very realistic and believable way. It was refreshing to read for once about two people who don't want to rip each other's cloths off the second they met. I understood Avry's reaction towards Kerrick, in the beginning as well as in the end. Just like Avery, I didn't like him at first (view spoiler). But together with her I started to appreciate and like Kerrick more so when they finally get together, it was the most normal thing. Another proof of how well Snyder builds up situations.

I loved the world Snyder created. I am not good in using my own imagination while reading, but the way Snyder describes everything in such a beautiful way, I had the feeling I was actually there. A part that really sticked with me was when Avry finds a death lily with the petals pulled wide open. It was as if Tohon was torturing the flower. Well I guess in some way it really is torture. But still, it is a flower. Usually I don't have strong feelings toward plants... But this really touched me. And I'm sure this is due to Snyder's writing style. To be honest, I was really sad when one of Avry's friends died but when I read about the flower I almost had tears in my eyes. Weird, I know... But an author who manages to get that reaction from me (for a flower!) really impresses me and deserves some kind of applause.
There are still some unanswered questions I have, like how will the relationship between Avry and her sister develop, what's up with Tohon and his experiments, what is the story behind the peace lilies? I hope these will be answered in the sequel which I really look forward to read!
Actually, I'm dying to read the sequel, but don't want to sound melodramatic...
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

08/12/2012
9.0% "So far I'm liking this one! So I guess fantasy isn't lost on me after all :)"
08/12/2012
9.0% "ATM I really don't like kerrick AT ALL!!"
20.0% "LOL!

Kerrick gave him a tight smile. “You mean I’m not omnipotent?”
“You’re not even semipotent.”
“Is that even a word?” Kerrick asked.
“He probably meant you’re impotent,” I offered." 2 comments
08/13/2012
46.0% "Bye Flea :("
08/13/2012
46.0% "Thanks. I can always count on Poppa Bear.”
“Poppa Bear?” he asked in a neutral tone.
Uh-oh. Did I hurt his feelings? “Yes, like a bear protecting his cubs.”
“Isn’t that what the mother bear does?”
“Would you rather I called you Momma Bear?”"
08/14/2012
73.0% 13 comments
08/15/2012
92.0% "When are they finally gonna kiss damnit?! Getting impatient here :p"
08/15/2012
92.0% "Finally!! :)

Kerrick dipped his head. His lips met mine. A wonderful explosion of sensations started in the pit of my stomach and radiated out. His kiss was nothing like Tohon’s. It wasn’t manipulative or a show of dominance. It was his heart and soul. A gift." 2 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

Butterfly hope you like it..I did.

Melissa So far I really do!! I'm grateful M. made me read this one :) he can be useful ;)

Butterfly LOL, yeah. How do you like Kerrick?

Melissa Butterfly wrote: "LOL, yeah. How do you like Kerrick?"

So far I want to kick him in places that don't see a lot of sunlight! >:(

Butterfly LMAO !! Give him a chance he has his reasons, I promise :)

Melissa Yeah I hope for him... Otherwise I hope Avry will tear him into pieces. Not wanting that she healed Belen... I almost smashed my Ereader against the wall cause I was so mad!

Butterfly girl your making it hard for me to not spoil it for you.

Melissa U know I don't mind spoilers! I NEED spoilers!!

Butterfly hmmm...how far in are you? maybe I'll tell you something.

Deniz Melissa wrote: "U know I don't mind spoilers! I NEED spoilers!!"

huh?!
woman you NOT normal!

Melissa Deniz wrote: "Melissa wrote: "U know I don't mind spoilers! I NEED spoilers!!"

huh?!
woman you NOT normal!"

Uhm, yeah, that's old news :p

@B: the part where Avry meets Jael

Butterfly has the youngest guy died yet?

Melissa WHAT??!?!?!??! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! He can't die!! He can't! Say you're joking!!! Ok I'm NOT gonna read further if he dies >:(

Deniz Butterfly wrote: "has the youngest guy died yet?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! i am reading it as well. how bout using spoilers?!

Melissa wrote: "WHAT??!?!?!??! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! He can't die!! He can't! Say you're joking!!! Ok I'm NOT gonna read further if he dies >:("
HEY! you gotta read this! i put TOG on hold to read with you >:(

Ornella (Nyx) I really liked this one too.
I was so sad when he died! D:
But keep reading Mel, it's worth it, I promise!

Deniz Ornella wrote: "I really liked this one too.
I was so sad when he died! D:
But keep reading Mel, it's worth it, I promise!"

WHAT? could you guys start using spoilers?!
ugg i dont want flea to die!!!!!!!!!

Melissa But I want spoilers!!!
Now I can at least mentally prepare myself :((

Butterfly but if I spoil the whole point with Kerricks attitude will be ruined.

Melissa yeah yeah ok, otherwise Deni will kill you :/

Deniz Butterfly wrote: "but if I spoil the whole point with Kerricks attitude will be ruined."

just put it in between spoilers! and mel can read it while i ignore it.
and i am upset that flea died by the way :(

message 21: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITES!

Melissa Katy wrote: "ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITES!"

if it continues like this, i see that happening for me too :)

Melissa AND YOU ARE ALIVE!!!! :p

message 24: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Melissa wrote: "AND YOU ARE ALIVE!!!! :p"

Barely, but yes. ;)

Deniz Katy wrote: "ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITES!"

i love it too!

message 26: by Dani (new)

Dani HEY! this wasn't the book you were reading! you're abusing my kindness

Melissa Dan wrote: "HEY! this wasn't the book you were reading! you're abusing my kindness"

O-Oow...
But but but I had to test if I like fantasy! :(

message 28: by Dani (new)

Dani riiiiiiiiiight

Melissa Blame M!! :)

Deniz Melissa wrote: "Blame M!! :)"

hhmm... looks like you a bit in trouble?

Melissa Yes :((

Mitch Alright!! Now I feel a little better for not liking ToG.

Deniz flea was so so sad :˜(

Melissa I was mad!!! Why flea?! He was my favourite :(

Deniz Melissa wrote: "I was mad!!! Why flea?! He was my favourite :("

but i do love how she buries him.
i have to say my fave is Avry. she is totally cool.

Melissa Yeah ok smartass, I wasn't counting her :p

Deniz Melissa wrote: "Yeah ok smartass, I wasn't counting her :p"

how did this make me a smartass?????
damit dont let your frustrations out on me!

Melissa Cause ofcourse Avry is the favo one!!

Deniz Melissa wrote: "Cause ofcourse Avry is the favo one!!"

uhm who is the smartass now?

Melissa Deniz wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Cause ofcourse Avry is the favo one!!"

uhm who is the smartass now?"

Whatever

Btw, I think I finally start to like kerrick better :)

Deniz Melissa wrote: "Deniz wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Cause ofcourse Avry is the favo one!!"

uhm who is the smartass now?"

Whatever

Btw, I think I finally start to like kerrick better :)"

i kinda always liked him, can promise you gonna love him at the end of the book :)

Melissa You serious? I was so mad when avry asked him to choose between belen and ryne and he chose the latter

Deniz Melissa wrote: "You serious? I was so mad when avry asked him to choose between belen and ryne and he chose the latter"

uh-huh
very annoying! but trust me you gonna love kerrick at the end.
belen is prob my fave of the boys... actually no its kerrick and belen &flea are second
;)

Melissa Well I like it that there really is development and I don't like him at first but get to like him more when story continues. So I'm curious :)
And I also find it refreshing that finally there isn't the typical love at first sight, after 1 second knowing that u are meant to be together and can't live without each other blabla!

message 45: by Dani (new)

Dani after you finish this ARE WE OR ARE NOT READING AC?? >:(

Deniz Melissa wrote: "Well I like it that there really is development and I don't like him at first but get to like him more when story continues. So I'm curious :)
And I also find it refreshing that finally there isn't..."

yes! exactly. its a really well told story as well.

Deniz Dan wrote: "after you finish this ARE WE OR ARE NOT READING AC?? >:("

AC?

Melissa Dan wrote: "after you finish this ARE WE OR ARE NOT READING AC?? >:("

Uhm yes??
I'm a bit afraid atm from you :(

message 49: by Katy (last edited Aug 14, 2012 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Dan wrote: "after you finish this ARE WE OR ARE NOT READING AC?? >:("

@ Lis - I cannot BELIEVE you asked BEGGED me to read SUFFER through this book WITH YOU two weeks ago, and you have yet to start. >:(

message 50: by Deniz (last edited Aug 14, 2012 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deniz Katy wrote:
"@ Lis - I cannot BELIEVE you made BEGGED me to read SUFFER through this book WITH YOU two weeks ago, and you have yet to star..."

uhm, i think lis is in double trouble.

run, lis, run!