Kathy Jackson's Reviews > 77 Shadow Street

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

Dec 29, 11

Recommended for: Koontz fans
Read from December 27 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

I was so excited to get this book and start reading it. The anticipation over it's release had made me sure, positive, that it would be written by Koontz-of-Old instead of the New-and-Improved-Koontz. You may ask me what the difference is between the two...well, let me see if I can explain.

My favorite books of Koontz are "Watchers", "Whispers", "Phantoms", "Midnight", etc. These were all books that were spooky and quick on the action. He did not spend numerous pages describing things that took one's focus off the storyline. I understand he does it to bring the reader more into his world - we can understand each character's intimate life which I suppose is to make us feel like we know them. The first books, before he improved himself, were full of action, fun and supernatural. These are the types of books I loved and was hoping beyond hope that this one was like that. Sigh.

Let me say the book is NOT horrible by any means but he does jump from character to character a lot - sometimes having 50 or more pages elapse before you find out what was going on with the person who was in the grips of the demon. It was all delayed, drawn out and involved.

At first I thought it would be more like the Shining but it wasn't. I think Koontz kind of meant it to be but if lacked the eerieness of the Shining. The writing is good, every room in the building is seared to your brain not only because he describes them (both current and how they looked 35 years earlier) but because he also has floor plans so you can really get the essence of the place.

I am sure there are those that will herold this as a great masterpiece and maybe it is. But I am a simple reader who enjoys simple things. This book was at the extreme opposite of "simple" on the complexity scale. By the middle, I felt I was plodding through with no hope of seeing the ending.

However, just because the book did not impress me, it doesn't mean it wasn't a good story. Though Koontz has slipped further down on my top 100 authors list, I still list him in the top 20.

Because this book repeatedly drowned me in extraneous details, I give it a C.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 77 Shadow Street.

12/27/2011 page 38
8.0% "There are only 364 pages, not 464..."
12/27/2011 page 38
8.0% "My only complaint so far is I am not a big fan of the whole satan and end of world themes...it sounds like that is what this is going to end up being. :-(" 1 comment
12/28/2011 page 98
21.0% "It reminds me of The Shining. I have to say, I was working on a story with a similar plot...now I wonder if I should even bother?"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Theresa Berry You summed up my feelings about this one perfectly. I want so badly to LOVE it, like I did Watchers. I keep waiting for him to wrench my heart out with another Einstein spelling out 'Fiddle Broken' in scrabble tiles. He hasn't done yet, though. But still, I keep hoping, reading, and waiting. I'm not finished with 77 Shadow Street yet, but I'm 3/4 of the way through it, and by now I should be unable to put it down. It's sitting in my car waiting on me to go to work and read it on my break.