Andrew Chamberlain's Reviews > The Kings of Eternity

The Kings of Eternity by Eric Brown

Dec 27, 11

This is the first novel I've ever read by Eric Brown, I'm glad I bought it and I did enjoy it. I suspect Eric Brown thinks of himself as something of a literary writer, and at his best I think he probably is. It was beautifully crafted in the early and middle sections of the book, with compelling and enjoyable plot lines, and characters who were constructed with integrity - although the 'Kings' of the title did seem to spend the first half of the book consuming so much alcohol that they must have been thoroughly rat-arsed whatever they got up to - pass the brandy round again old chap! If you like your SF hard - in the style of Richard Morgan for example - you may want to give this a wide berth; it is a scientific romance rather than SF (I am sure we could debate the definitions) but on the whole very good scientific romance for all that. But the style is more ripping yarn than hard boiled.

The ending was probably the weakest part of it, one of the characters introduced later on in the book seemed to be rather hastily sketched compared to the finely drawn people we see earlier, and there was a certain predictability about the conclusion. Still a good read for all that.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kings of Eternity.