Huntie's Reviews > Summer Sisters

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

Jun 28, 07

Recommended for: chicks everywhere
Read in June, 1999

I loved this book when I read it because it reminded me so much of the weird relationship I had with my best friend growing up. We spent numerous summers together at her parents' cottage having the requisite summer flings with out of town boys who we would never see again (until the next summer), and this book made me very nostalgic for those times.

What I liked was how Judy Blume told the story not only from a generic narrator's perspective, but also from the perspective of each character in the story. This made the book more interesting, and gave me ideas outside of my own for what each character was thinking in different situations.

I also liked how Ms. Blume captured the friendship between Caitlin and Victoria- Victoria being the calm, straight-laced friend, Caitlin being the quintessential wild child- and the ups and downs and little "competitions" they would have (like who would get their period first or who would lose their virginity first). The ending surprised me quite a bit, and I have to say that at first I wasn't crazy about it because I don't like being left in limbo, but after thinking about it a bit I realized the story was wrapped up just fine.

I would definitely recommend this book to my chicas, it's a fun read and it will definitely take you back to a much simpler time (sort of).
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Sisters.