Hilary's Reviews > Out of the Pocket

Out of the Pocket by Bill Konigsberg

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: teach-it

Well, plot wise and writing wise, this book leans more toward 3 stars, but honestly, I'm giving it 4 solely because I'm glad the book exists. So much of LBGTQ themed YA lit features a gay male who is a stereotypical musical theater diva type (Tiny Cooper from Will Grayson x2, Augie from My Most Excellent Year), etc. that it is nice to see a "different face of gay" so to speak. Bobby Framingham is the QB of his HS football team, super hunky, popular, etc. and is outed by a pretty crappy classmate. He faces homophobia, naturally (though, honestly, even for a story set in the 21st century, I think it was a bit understated) but is mostly supported. This is what it would be like if Finn from Glee was gay, rather than Kurt. (There is that closeted football player that bullies Kurt--maybe he's out now? I don't know; I broke up with Glee--but he's a jerk, and Bobby isn't). Again, totally PG rated since all there is are references to hetero sex and kissing. I'm planning to put it on my LBGTQ list and HS teachers should recommend it as a story of tolerance and bravery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Pocket.