Jaron's Reviews > Wild Thing

Wild Thing by Josh Bazell

M 50x66
Aug 27, 13

Read on August 26, 2013

Why would I give a book I clearly enjoyed quite a lot only 3 stars? I raced through it in a few days: it was set in Minnesota (which was a bonus for me as I'm a resident), fast paced, occasionally educational, occasionally shocking, and, in addition to all of that, very funny.

But still. Something was missing.

I was a bit put off with the mid-book addition of a real-life celebrity (for some reason, putting words into the mouth of someone who exists in the world feels more than disingenuous -- even in a work of fiction), but that wasn't it.

I didn't care for the long sources/appendix section at the back (in a book with hundreds of footnotes, an additional section with sources seemed completely egregious), but that wasn't it either (besides, I skimmed it).

The real problem, I think, is a lack of heart. All of the footnotes in the world aren't going to make up for that. Even many of the grittiest authors' (Charlie Huston books are much more gruesome, Don Winslow books are much more violent, Dwayne Swierczynski books are even further off-the-wall) books have it which is part of why (I realize now, after mulling on my low rating for such a highly-enjoyed book) I like those authors so much better.

Of course, I'll read Peter Brown #3, if only to see where Bazell can possibly take this bizarre series next.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Thing.

08/26/2013 marked as: currently-reading