Melindeeloo's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, demons, arc, witches-wizards-mages-sorcerers
Read in October, 2011

Rachel is out of the closet but finding that having been declared dead and being the only Demon this side of the ley lines has added a whole level of frustrating complications to her life. But life is going to get even tougher - someone is killing witches and the reason is connected to the dirty little secret that Rachel's outing exposed. Having seen the brutal results of those 'someones' handiwork Rachel is determined to be the one to bring them down, even though she is magically hobbled and her determination not to fall prey to her demon powers may be just the thing that gives those 'someones' what they need to bring about the deadliest change in the Inderlander world since 'the Turn'.

My comments about A Perfect Blood are going to sound an awful lot like my reviews of the previous two Hollow's books. The first half of the story is action packed but look-before-you-leap-way-too-stupid-to-live-at-times Rachel drove me crazy. She is the prize that gives the bad guys the win, but she just can't stand on the sidelines, even though wearing the bracelet that Trent gave her to hide her demon powers makes her magically only half the witch she used to be and forces her to rely on earth magic weapons that she just can't seem to hold onto. It also drives me nuts that she has great resources in her friends but she refuses to use them, and I really hated the way that she treats her bodyguard, who is a decent character.

But as much as the first half drove me nuts, the second half as always was really good. This is the perpetual trap that I keep falling into with this series - I keep thinking at the end of each book that *now* Rachel is going to grow up and Harrison is going to take advantage of the really cool stuff that she's set up and it is this hope that always has me champing at the bit for the next book.

Actually, the former 'bad guys' Trent and Al have been the bright spots in the last few books – and there just isn't enough of them here. But even with what little of him that there was here, I loved Trent in this one – there's some real growth for him at last and his relationship with Rachel is finally finally starting to move past junior high (I think they might be sophomores now). As to the rest of the cast, it's fun to see some oldies making cameos and somehow the foul mouthed Jenks hasn't gotten old yet - and the wingless fairy Belle is adding an interesting dynamic to his clan. And while I am still ready for Ivy to move all the way on, she isn't as tiresome as when the blood balance stuff was fully in play but it's still brought up - and with her master off screen in this one, still lurking waiting to rear it's ugly boring head once more and I am so done with hearing about it.

So when all is said and done, despite the frustration that is Rachel – it is something that I wouldn't put up with a UF heroine that I wasn't already so attached to – and I really should drop my rating a star for this, I did end up enjoying A Perfect Blood and I am looking forward to the next book again with foolish hope that the next time will build off of the good things in the second half of the book. But I just have to say that while I am looking forward to the next book, I am also looking forward to the end of the series (Harrison is supposedly winding things up) because I would really like to see Rachel get her act together once and for all.

ARC provided through Amazon Vine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

12/27/2011 page 15
3.0% "I have high hopes for this one, it felt like Rachel was back on track after the last installment."
12/27/2011 page 80
18.0% "Woh, game on."
12/28/2011 page 438
100.0% "I'm done but still mulling it over..."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ i cant wait for this...hopefully it will be a "good" road trip!

VampireNovelFan Hey, you're on Vine? How do you get to be a part of that anyway? I read the ARC already but I was just wondering.

@Sharon: No road trip this time! But it's still tons of fun.

✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽ VampireNovelFan wrote: "Hey, you're on Vine? How do you get to be a part of that anyway? I read the ARC already but I was just wondering.

@Sharon: No road trip this time! But it's still tons of fun."

ur right...duh?

Melindeeloo ❀ Sharon ❀ wrote: "i cant wait for this...hopefully it will be a "good" road trip!"

So far it's looking like a rollercoaster ride.

Melindeeloo ❀ Sharon ❀ wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Hey, you're on Vine? How do you get to be a part of that anyway? I read the ARC already but I was just wondering"
I wrote lots of reviews over at Amazon and after awhile they sent an invite - don't really know what criteria they use

message 9: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 28, 2011 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Thanks. I have like...over 100 myself and a 91% rating, so I dunno what the heck else I have to do, lol. I'm also a prime member so I buy a LOT of stuff from them. I hope you're enjoying the book so far though. PM me if you want to chat about it!

Melindeeloo VampireNovelFan wrote: "Thanks. I have like...over 100 myself and a 91% rating, so I dunno what the heck else I have to do, lol. I'm also a prime member so I buy a LOT of stuff from them. I hope you're enjoying the book..."

I think that I got my invite around 300 or so, so just keep doing what your doing (or review the Kindle fire when it first comes out and get 16000 helpful votes and become an instant top ten reviewer - darn it's too late to do that:)

Melindeeloo VampireNovelFan wrote: "... I hope you're enjoying the book..." I am, but I forgot how crazy Rachel makes me some times...

VampireNovelFan Melindeeloo wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Thanks. I have like...over 100 myself and a 91% rating, so I dunno what the heck else I have to do, lol. I'm also a prime member so I buy a LOT of stuff from them. I hope ..."

LOL I don't have a Kindle Fire, but I did order an actual tablet through Amazon. Though my aunt wants a Fire...hmmmm :P.

And yeah Rachel's crazy, but I can't help but love the silly girl. She's about the only heroine where I'll put up with her antics.

Melindeeloo And yeah Rachel's crazy, but I can't help but love the silly girl. She's about the only heroine where I'll put up with her antics

I know what you mean, I think it might be that I got attached to Rachel way back when there weren't that many UF series, I certainly don't put up with as much from my UF heroines when I pick up a new series now. (Or from my supporting characters, I am glad that Harrison is finally making an effort to do something with Ivy again, she got turned into a one-note character for so many books - what a waste)

VampireNovelFan Yeah. I have been a fan since 2005, so this series has a big head start for me. I am glad kim has managed to keep it fresh. My love for this series has been reenergized.

Douglas Meeks "look-before-you-leap-way-too-stupid-to-live-at-times Rachel drove me crazy" - I think that summed up a HUGE portion of the book for me :) It is like watching a horror movie and yelling "Don't go into the dark room" but they do it anyway .

Melindeeloo Dougmeeks wrote: ""look-before-you-leap-way-too-stupid-to-live-at-times Rachel drove me crazy" - I think that summed up a HUGE portion of the book for me :) It is like watching a horror movie and yelling "Don't go into the dark room" but they do it anyway ..."

Exactly, and after every book I ask myself, "other UF heroines grow-up why can't Rachel?"

message 1: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 If it wasn't for Jenks and Ivy I wouldn't read this