Bryan Mclellan's Reviews > Notes of a Dirty Old Man

Jul 02, 08

Recommended to Bryan by: Amazon
Recommended for: Abner
Read in July, 2008

Rating books with stars, like bars or restaurants or anything else is pretty silly.

This was a good book to read at night while drinking pints at pubs in Seattle. A collection of "articles" from a small(?) paper in Los Angeles (?), there's no apparent chronology or order of any kind to them. If there is, it's deep an intellectual.

And after all, an intellectual takes something simple and makes it complex, while an artist takes something complex and makes it simple. (Indirect book quote)

I'm reminded of World War Z; each story is captivating, but you tire a little of the style. However just as you're tiring of the style, you get caught up in the next story.

I bought my dad a copy of this book... he told me it reminded him of Kerouac. That set me back a little as I never knew my father before his grumpiness and angst, his tiredness. Like a quote from Field of Dreams.

It's also a kind of life I appreciate, which, perhaps is easy to take the wrong way. Because life is for the living.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes of a Dirty Old Man.