Christina (Reading Thru The Night)'s Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

1020619
Dec 27, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ah-may-zing, sobs, ya-love

The Short of It

Haunting voice identifies pain and despair.

The Long of It

Hannah Baker kills herself. And maybe it was unexpected and maybe her friends would have questioned why… But she doesn’t really give them an opportunity to ask questions. Through a pre-recorded tape she shares thirteen moments in her life that changed her. Thirteen reasons why she could never be the person she felt she was inside. Thirteen people who hurt her in ways that perhaps they didn’t even realize. Like a bad chain letter, these tapes end up in the hands of every person mentioned on the recording.

The Thoughts about It

Whoa! How’d I wait this long to read this book? And god, what are even the RIGHT things to say about it? Thirteen Reasons Why is an emotional experience. I read it during the read-a-thon and literally had to step away from books while I brought myself back to the present.

Some thoughts: many of the suicidal warning signs were there but overlooked. Maybe because some are unassuming, maybe because most are not aware enough to call a spade a spade, who knows.

I do know that this is perhaps THE BEST book I’ve ever read dealing with suicide. Following Clay Jensen through his whole process of the tapes grounded the tale. I travelled with him as he followed Hannah’s walk. I ached every time he anticipated hearing his name on the tapes.

I am desperate to get my hands on the audio version of this book.