Kendra's Reviews > The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Jul 11, 14

bookshelves: dystopia-science-fiction, space, nonamerican-lit
Read from December 24 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Douglas Adams really starts off "The Hitchhiker's Guide" with a bang, and proceeds to go bust and beyond bust in very quick and delightful fashion. If you can handle your brain exploding in thirty different improbable ways, then this will be the perfect pick for red-eye flight reading.

In truth, Adams has a knack for transporting people, including but not exclusive to his readers, out of this world and into a very strange and wonderful one, where nothing is as it seems and everything can be counted on to do something unexpected.

I particularly enjoyed the first two books incorporated into "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (that is, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe") and I find I liked the third ("Life, the Universe and Everything") quite a lot, too. The other books incorporated into this canon ("So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish," "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe," and "Mostly Harmless") take themselves more seriously and therefore lose some of the frolicsome fun that really drew me into the first three. It's pretty clear Adams went through--or lived perpetually in--an existential crisis, but that doesn't mean this isn't purely excellent fiction. If you don't quite understand what I mean, that's quite all right. As the Guide would say, "Don't Panic."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

12/27/2011 page 265