Kris's Reviews > Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity

Loose Girl by Kerry Cohen

Jul 07, 08

Read in July, 2008

A quick and good read as biographies go. Not much in way of wit or prose, it's a rather raw and straight forward telling of how and why the author came to make the decisions she did regarding sex and relationships. Yes, there's parental issues and what no mentioned but most of it is about her need to feel loved. I think that's why I liked the book as much as I did; I can completely relate to the feelings she describes. Granted I haven't had sex with even remotely close to the number of people as the author, but I've made choices I'm not proud of for the same reasons she slept around. The desire to feel wanted, to feel chosen and special. The desperation to be liked and feel cared about. Loneliness and the empty feeling it can cause inside. The willingness to do something, even if it's only temporary, to relieve that emptiness and agony...even if it's hurtful to yourself or someone you care about. The anger and self-loathing at not being stronger, not being able to resist or overcome that hollowness and the longing. Not always saying what you really think or want because it may alienate you more than you already feel. I understood it all and I doubt I'm alone. I think it's also an excellent look at just how differently people perceive sex. A good read for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loose Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda Kris! Great review. I'm in the middle of reading this book right now and it has struck a chord in me for sure.

You say: I've made choices I'm not proud of for the same reasons she slept around.

I think it goes that way for a lot of us and I think that's why Kerry wrote the book. Very cool. Anyway, I think your review precisely captures what the author wanted us to take away from the read! And thanks for putting into words some of the thoughts I've had but don't know how to vocalize, too. Haha!